Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Weekend Getaway


I'm really excited about this blog. Not only is it a little bit of inspiration for us to get out and about in our city, but I think it's a great way to embrace the crazy adventure of a life I already live. One thing that gives me so much life is being a Young Life leader. If you know me, you probably already know all about that, and if you don't, you should ask me about it! I'll talk your ear off.

All that is beside the point for now, though. This past weekend, I, along with a room full of crazy, fun, lovely fellow Young Life leaders took a mini vacation to the lake to get away, get encouraged, and plan a little business. I mean come on, ya gotta do what you gotta do.

The thing that was so great about the weekend was being encouraged as a group. My eyes were really opened to the importance of community, and living in that community. Like really in it! I saw my college girl friends that live all the way on the other side of campus, therefore they are (obviously) like strangers. I miss them! But we had an amazing slumber party in the basement of the sickest lake house ever. Windows everywhere! Check out the sunrise that we caught the morning of! Also, shout out to my girl Laura who rocked my socks by being such a girl filled with the joy of the Lord! She shared her story and I felt so thankful for what God does in so many lives.



I also got to spend time with some adults that I adore. I have been so blessed to see pictures of friends living such wonderfully full lives with families. They are some of my closest confidants and I try to soak up all the time I can with them, hearing how they love their husbands and their kids and their Young Life friends and, most importantly, how Christ plays a roll in all of that.

These are some leaders playing a game where they had to dress like hipsters. My boy, Jim, won by saying "I live in Portland." Heyo!

The weekend was also great because the speaker spoke plain and simply about the good news of the Gospel. Although I love Young Life, there is so much discouragement in ministry, which is exactly why we need to be reminded of a God that is so great, and that does all the hard stuff. All we have to do is show up with open hands and a repentant heart. I know I am so thankful that He is guiding my journey and leading me to such exciting opportunities like this past weekend.

1 comment: