Saturday, January 5, 2013

Welcome to our World


                                             
Well here we are. Beginning our blog. Abigail and I are sitting in World Coffee in Asheville, North Carolina, sipping away and contemplating our new outlet of expression.

Abigail says the coffee tastes like berries, what could that be?

(Abigail interjects) Ginny tried to make a pot before we left the house and it ended up tasting...she lost count of the scoops...it was early...I mean it's Saturday you can't fault the girl! Anyway, I (who loves all things black) didn't care for the BITTEREST coffee in the world. So here we are- World Coffee- drinking our berry coffees and wishing it tasted a little more like sessions and a little less like...



So it's settled. Sessions coffee from now on. Y'all think Greensboro is hip? Try rollin through Downtown Asheville. I'm intimidated.



We're going public for a few reasons. We are two girls that love to find new outlets of expression. While we were playing around with that idea, blogging came up. How fun! We also think this is an exciting way to keep our friends and family involved in our lives, as well as make new friends and family. Here on the world wide web, we are going to keep everyone posted on new things we try, be it a new restaurant, coffee shop, exercise class, fashion trend... You name it!

One thing we love to do is explore, so today, after a disappointing pot of coffee (sorry again guys), we made our way to the NC mountains. Ginny has spent a few summers in this area and was excited to go back to some places with great memories. Abigail loves the mountain and couldn't wait to see the line of the Blue Ridge mountains in her view.

We started off in Black Mountain. a small town with lots of little specialty shops. Also... Lots of dogs. In every store. On every corner! Kind of cute, but occasionally I think sanitation is more important than appearances. Even though I played with the dogs more than I browsed.

(Abigail interjects) Yes, Ginny, but it's like a Mountain thing! Every mountain movie has a dog on the front porch...I may have just made that up since right now the only mountain movie that is coming to mind is cold Mountain and I never actually saw that movie. Scratch that, mountain people just like dogs, incense, vinegar, and postcards...
                             
We ate at the world's slowest service deli, which had potential to be really good; but what is potential if people do nothing with it? Just that. a word. It was alright.... Ginny ordered a vegetarian sandwich and had them add turkey. That's the best thing that happened there.

                               

Now is the point in our morning where we decide it's time to go to Asheville. We headed around the mountain to one of NC's coolest cities and couldn't help but get frustrated with parking. Whatever we're past that. We stumbled upon a sweet consignment shop that was literally OBSESSED with mustaches. Seriously. On cups. On plates. On jewelry. On shirts. On books. Probably more I was just numbed to it eventually. A decision was made that Abigail could (and probably should) make all of that stuff (obviously better, with less mustaches) and sell her stuff. Look out world!

(Abigail interjects) Ok, but what is the deal with the staches? What exactly are they representing? They aren't unique, they aren't new, they aren't fresh, so what is so stinkin' appealing? Girls don't generally like them ON their man, so why would we want them on our bags or plates or hats? I, for one, don't like kissing a stachy man nor do I find myself remotely attracted to a mustache wearing gent (in fact I automatically feel a little creeped.) YET I found myself buying a mustache mug at urban outfitters for a Christmas present this year...something about it  was incredibly adorable. I'd like to think I don't buy things simply because they're trendy, but in the case of the stache... I do believe I fell victim to the trend.

OH NO GINNY! I wanted to wear red stick like you, but now I look down and see I'm wearing a pink shirt and I'm terribly embarrassed by this Valentines Day fiasco situation I have going on here. FEAR NOT people of Asheville, I have a pink in my purse- let's find a mirror Ginbean.

One thing that stands out in downtown Asheville more so than any other place I've been is the amount of folk singing street brewsters. Accordions, washboards (played by a man/woman/thing we don't know the gender of!), saws, stand up basses... Instruments you wouldn't really expect to see on a sidewalk. Not gonna lie, I kinda wanted to jump in and join them! I just need dreadlocks...There's definitely a hippie culture around here that consists of major body odor, a lack of certain social skills, and some of the coolest people I could only wish to be friends with!



(Abigail interjects) I bought peanut brittle at the General Store and it was good.

Since it is only 4:00, I feel as though there are still things to be seen around these parts. Also, my glittery New Years Nails are reflecting in the computer screen and it is wonderfully distracting. Don't worry... there will probably be a post about that soon.


2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad this is up! I love the background and am kinda suprised you didn't draw it abbs! I can't wait to see what you guys do next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. And you. What a wonderful New Year's adventure! Cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete