Thursday, January 17, 2013

Spaghetti Squash

Some people say that the biggest question when approaching the daunting spaghetti squash creature is: cook it cut up or whole? I have been battling this creature for quite some time (especially during my gluten free days) and have finally come up with a method that works...95% of the time without frustration.

Step one: Set Oven to 375.

Step two: Fill a glass bowl with water and place your squash into the bowl, put in microwave and cook for five minutes. (This will make the rind soft enough to cut in half, otherwise GOOD LUCK.) First time I tried to cut that rind without softening it I almost chopped my fingers off...

Step Three: cut squash in half and place face down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 40 mins.

Step Four: Remove the Squash and pull our the seedy layer on top, throw that away.

Step Five: pull out the "spaghetti" and place on a olive oil greased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes at 400.
Step Six: Make some sauce. I take a can of organic Harris Teeter brand tomato sauce and mix it will basil, oregano, garlic, and thyme.



Step Seven: Add meat. I use soy chicken strips, stuck those suckers onto the George foreman for a couple mins and they were ready to go. You can choose whatever, pour the sauce over the meat and "noodles" and Voila, you have a low-carb spaghetti meal.





3 comments:

  1. So, why not just bake it whole? That's how I do it :) Curious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crispier if you cook it in half, more of an actual noodle texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I never tried it that way before, I"ll have to give it a whirl....

    ReplyDelete